Mike's Reviews > Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

Apr 07, 10

bookshelves: sociology
Read in November, 2008

Like many other reviewers I had a difficult time reading the book because, if you are capable of having empathy for native amercians, it causes one to re-think what you thought you've always known about American history and the values of our Christian European ancestors.

If you aren't capable of empathy, don't waste your time. You are right, you know you are right, and in your mind "the only good indian is a dead indian". But if you can consider the Chinese, for example, landing on American shores in 2010 with overwhelming weapons technology and a billion "settlers" I'm certain you would respond less generously than the native americans did.

We took their land, their hunting grounds, and continually lied by breaking treaty after treaty. We forced them onto reservations located on lands unfit for human habitation. We supported a corrupt bureacratic welfare system that systematically starved them to death and robbed them of their dignity.

The one bright spot in the book was General George Crook. After persecuting indians for three decades he finally saw the truth of the tragedy being inflicted on native americans.

Notice I've filed the book on my "Sociology" shelf and not "History". Although the book details historical events the most valuable contribution of the book is revealing how people interact and their motives for doing such.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

11/18/2008 page 150

Dave Sad but fascinating book.