Jake's Reviews > Batman: The Man Who Laughs

Batman by Ed Brubaker

Jan 02, 2014

bookshelves: batman, graphic-novel, action
Read from May 15 to 22, 2012

I'm digging Brubaker's syle and narrative with each graphic novel I read of his. I like that his dialogue is crisp without being dramatic. I like that he gets Joker's joke of insanity and the fact that you can't stop what isn't technically there, a motive. However, there's a precise motive in this one that kind of took me by surprise, since Joker's motive rarely makes an appearance. It made me raise my eyebrow a bit. But it's this incarnation of Joker that always stuck as my favorite, the one where he loves being crazy but he also admits to having no other alternative. There's pride in his violence, and there's a maniac senselessness to it. The reason Joker remains one of the best all-time villains is that he's so precise while being so all over the place. It's a difficult balance when you really think about it.

The second story I've read before, and it isn't great. But it has the old Green Lantern, and he probably gets overshadowed a lot. So...hey, good for him. But Batman saves the day. Let's not forget that. And he does it with skill and accuracy, not bogus rings. I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. But he's just so...handsome. Good night, everybody!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.