Nafiza's Reviews > In a Fix

In a Fix by Linda Grimes

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: net-galley, 2012
Read from July 20 to 21, 2012

This delicious urban fantasy surprised me on several levels. I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did considering the main character had something of a harem going on but you know what? I just went with it and enjoyed the heck out of it. Ciel has this irrepressible voice, irreverent and charming – she is the quintessential younger sister with many older brothers who coddle her and protect her even when protecting is the last thing she wants. There is also a delicious friend of older brother who never seems to see her for the woman she is and a best friend who has recently blurred the lines of their relationship. Then there is the action – you are running, screaming, avoiding being shot, being drugged and then escaping – there are mad men wanting to increase the testosterone level of the general male population and a sexy CIA agent who may or may not be kissing (and other things) Ciel’s crush. And most irritating of all, there are all these men who keep on trying to “protect” Ciel.

The pace of the story is akin to riding a roller coaster and I’m not just saying that. This is not a serious affair where the survival of the world depends on these characters but more a light hearted foray into a family, somewhat like the mafia, who are able to change their appearance at will. It’s fun, it’s sexy and it packs a hell of a punch. I really liked this one. The whole plot and the overarching narrative is a bit out there but not enough that it is utterly unbelievable. The villains are, of course, appropriately villainous but more caricatures than actual serious villains and it works in this novel.

Where the romance is concerned, I, of course, see-sawed between Billy and Mark because though the latter seems more dependable, the former is more fun and rather more honest. Billy doesn’t play games but Mark, it seems, does. Billy also wins major points for letting Ciel be the person she wants to be without wanting to protect her every second. Who knows what the triangular relationship is going to look like next but if Grimes has taught me anything with In A Fix, it’s that I’m going to enjoy finding out. Strongly recommended for those who love wicked wit in their protagonists, delicious kisses and just sheer irrepressible fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Fix.