Phil Williams's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

May 16, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I miss Augusten Burroughs.
I remember reading his early books with wonder and just a little jealosy. He has had a strange childhood, but now he is a best-selling author now, so everything turned out OK, right?
Then in his book "Dry" we see things are not OK, there is a problem there and it is in addiction. Still, he is a best-selling author so everything is OK.
Now, he has his life in better order, or so it would seem, and is advising us on how to deal with all the crap life throws at us, how to be safe and sane and OK, like him.
Maybe I'm just being selfish, maybe I am just a jerk, but I liked the old out of control, surrounded by lunatics Augusten Burroughs.
He was the sort of person I could have seen myself hanging out with. I love the messes.
I'm glad he is happier, more content with his life now. I'm glad he is healthier, no longer drinking or doing drugs or being self destructive, but unfortunatly, he is not as interesting as he used to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.