Vanessa Booke's Reviews > Survive

Survive by Alex Morel

May 25, 12

Read on May 25, 2012

Survive by Alex Morel is a fantastic book that deals with topics like love, loss, suicide and survival. I was extremely surprised by how very deep this book was. Jane Solis is a planner and as such she’s planned how she’s going to commit suicide down to the very moment. Fortunately or unfortunately for her, her plane home crashes in the middle of the mountains during a blizzard, delaying her attempt. Right before she meets Paul mid flight and the two are the only survivors left after the crash. Together they do their best to survive against the cold, hunger and dehydration. I loved that although Paul became a love interest for Jane it didn’t overtake the real story. Jane although extremely troubled over her father’s own suicide is strong and a great main character. Paul is a great love interest and although he’s extremely annoying to Jane, he’s also funny and resourceful. I really enjoyed the storyline between the death of Paul’s brother and the death of Jane’s father. It really helped to bring close Paul and Jane and I loved that Morel did this slowly and casually. I’m glad that Paul and Jane weren’t immediately attracted to one another or else it would’ve been a little cliché. I loved and hated the end. It was bittersweet and I couldn’t help but cry a little when it ended. Overall, I loved that Morel took the time to give this story so much life and detail. I could really picture Jane and Paul trapped on the top of a mountain and the struggles they over came. I highly recommend Survive it’s a fantastic novel and if you’re a fan of survivalist novels I definitely think you’ll enjoy this realistic thrill ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survive.