Exanimis's Reviews > A Child Called "It"

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

Dec 16, 13

bookshelves: re-reads
Read in January, 2008

A kid was abused, he was removed from the abuse at age 12. This child went on to join the Air Force and write a successful book. Wow, really? No Bi-Polar disorder? No severe recurring depression? No Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? No crippling injuries? He not only finished school but apparently attended collage, a requirement for service in the Air Force. How can his life story be anything but a success story? I read this book and the thing I took away from it was, How could this guy cry about how bad he had it. If not for my Bi-Polar disorder,severe recurring depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, I could tell you a story that would make you laugh at David Pelzer.

I decided to reread this book for one simple reason, I feel that having lived through an abusive childhood that perhaps I had a resentment toward Dave Pelzer for writing about his life of abuse. I personally have never been able to write about mine without suffering a severe bout of depression and self loathing. I decided to reread this with an open eye and mind, to look past what I know of abuse and to imagine that this happened as he says, I can't do that! I Hope that Mr. Pelzer does some good with his life, I hope that this story does some good somewhere, that someone reads this and decides to do good but my feeling is that if I want to read fiction, I prefer something a little lighter like Harry Potter. In my opinion Mr. Dave Pelzer made up this story, judging from my own abusive childhood I have to conclude that this book is a lie.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Child Called "It".