Rachel's Reviews > The Forest People

The Forest People by Colin M. Turnbull

Sep 17, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, anthropology, books-i-own
Read in October, 2008

Well first off, it was a surprisingly EASY read ... breezed right through the thing. What I remembered in particular was the elima of course, which at times made me laugh out loud. I also found their system of punishment interesting. While it was threatened that certain actions could result in banishment etc it seemed that very rarely were these punishments carried out. Hostilities would be direced towards the accused for a few days and perhaps the guilty one would go off into the forest by himself for a day only to come back and everyone would act as if nothing had happened. The bambuti also possess a striking sense of humor. One thing that did bother me a bit however, was their treatment towards animals. They believed that the animals were placed on earth for their benefit so why bestow ANY sympathy on the creatures. It also seemed as though some of their traditions were only carried out for the SAKE of tradition. Perhaps that is due to their interaction with villagers ... etc. Very engaging read. I might read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest People.