Lorretta's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

May 16, 12

I received this through GoodReads Giveaways.

I read chick lit only occasionally, but I do enjoy it for quick reads on trips or in hotel rooms.

I wanted to really like this book because of the potential food descriptions and recipes. Alas, there was only miniscule description of food and zero recipes. How can a character boast that she makes the best meatloaf and then not provide a recipe?

The main character Gemma Craig starts off very likable and has an engaging way of describing her clients and their needs. Suddenly, she starts to fall apart and her reactions to a pretty bumpy section of life are just dumb. It is hard to even root for her at points.

This could have been a very interesting, fun book with more character development and more pages given to events occuring.

I was glad to have read this because I've read some pretty serious books lately and needed to "cleanse my mental palette". If you are not looking for deep thinking, recipes, or even intriguing plots, then this book will take you on a quick fluffy journey for an hour or two whle you bask in the sun or surf. And you will have no guilt leaving the book for someone else...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.