forestsprite's Reviews > Boy Toy

Boy Toy by Barry Lyga

May 17, 12

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Read from May 16 to 17, 2012

I liked it. Story is about a boy named Josh, who at twelve is molested for the first time by his teacher. It's all told in first person POV when he's eighteen years-old, with two major flashbacks going back to reveal what happened.

I'm not sure exactly why I want to give this three stars - I guess it'd be more like a three-and-a-half - but if asked why I didn't rate it better I'm not sure I could say. There weren't any points in the story I can point at as flawed, no horrible character blunders or bad grammar or language. It just didn't grab me overmuch - though, keep in mind that I pretty much read the whole thing in one day, so that's in its favor. I did feel bad for Josh at points, and sketched out at appropriate points when you see how he is manipulated by someone who obviously is in an authority position.

Nitpicking: I didn't like Rachel much, and both her and the Four Musketeers thing didn't feel real enough to me. It's not that I didn't like Rachel, it's just that that whole relationship felt a bit convenient and too soon/out of no where. Why did it matter so much that Zic's girlfriend was so super crazy hot, and along the same lines, not as hot as her legendarily smoking two elder sisters? That bothered me almost as much as reading the expression "sneaked up" and wondering if it shouldn't be "snuck up" and wondering if I was wrong. I wasn't sure what to make of Josh's "flickers", either. I'm also starting to tire a bit of super smart/special MCs (the super abilities with math and batting). (view spoiler).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Toy.

05/16/2012 page 100