Angelc's Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: not-out-yet, already-own-read, keepers

4.5 Stars

This book was a really impressive debut novel. I really liked the alternate historical world that the author built, and her characters were complex and likable. There was a large steampunk element that I really enjoyed, and a lot of vampire lore for the paranormal fan.

Honoria was a strong female lead, the book never turns into controlling vampire with submissive, weak-willed female, like many paranormals. She put Blade in his place many times, and I especially liked the scene where she let Blade's best friend Will know that no matter how much Will didn't like her, she was there to stay.

I really liked Blade, of course I mostly liked his soft and tender side. Sometimes the way he was both sweet as can be and such an alpha vampire seemed like it was trying to make the character please all readers all at once, and sometimes didn't seem like it could be true. Yes, I know that he was fighting with his dark vampire side at all times, but that's not what I mean. I actually liked that contrast. That was more of a gruff and tough outer shell with a heart of gold, which it totally believable. But sometimes, I found myself saying "Blade wouldn't say that or think that," so I had to just ignore his over the top alpha moments.

Overall, a fantastic mix of steampunk, vampires, and lots of romance!

ARC sent by publisher in exchange for honest review

reviewed for http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

K. Thanks for the thought-provoking review Angel! Sounds like this one is worth the read!
K.

Angelc Thanks, K! I really liked it!