A_Cathy's Reviews > Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute

Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute by Jarrett J. Krosoczka

F 50x66
May 16, 2012

bookshelves: picture-books, graphic-novels, fantasy-sci-fi

The Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute written by Jarrett J. Krosoczka was a graphic novel. It is approximately 93 pages, but an easy read. It's about a teacher who wants to be teacher of the year and places mean cyborg substitudes in place of other teachers to get the students votes. The lunch room lady (reminds me of inspector gadget) has a magical spatula which she uses with the cyborgs. I would say this is a second grade and above book. Boys and girls would like this book. The fighting to conquer the cyborgs is not violent. I read it with my kindergarten grandson and he was able to read some of it and enjoyed the story line.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute.

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth What recommendations would you provide for classroom use? Also, what do you think of the graphic over format for this text?

A_Cathy I thought the graphics were sometimes alittle violent, but maybe that's just me. I think for classroom use I would use it as a fun read.

message 3: by A_Esther (new) - added it

A_Esther This story sounds pretty funny. I’m marking it “to read” and am thinking of using it in conjunction with Miss Nelson is Missing. I’d like students to compare the two texts, then use the themes of appreciation/value/worth to create a text in graphic form where they learn to appreciate a family member or vice versa. Maybe it’s too lofty, but I am imaging a sci-fi Mother’s Day card/book.