Kristina's Reviews > About That Night

About That Night by Julie James

May 16, 12

bookshelves: brain-candy, fiction, nook-book, bodice-busting-passion-luuuuv
Read from May 10 to 12, 2012

I really like Julie James books. They are light, fluffy, funny and sexy. Considering some of the more "serious" fiction I've been reading lately, I actually found this book to be better written than some of them. The characters are more interesting, the dialogue has certainly been much better, and although the plot in this one was so-so, it held together enough to give the romance a frame to work. The only real problem I had with this was how blown out of proportion this "Twitter Terrorist" thing was. Kyle Rhodes, as a billionaire's son (and not so poor himself) would have been just fine continuing in his career at his father's software security firm. It's obvious that what he did was a drunken stunt caused by a broken heart; he just shut down Twitter for god's sake. He didn't hack into the Pentagon and launch a missile or break into a bank and steal a bunch of money or account information. The world of wealthy people (and the world in general) would have forgiven him quickly and it would have blown over more quickly than the author has it doing. As for his career--many hackers are sought after and hired (as Kyle later does) as internet security experts. His one hacking misbehavior never would have hurt him; in fact it helped him start a whole new career.

Other than that one complaint, I really liked the book. Rylann is a likeable character too although not as strongly defined as earlier characters (Cameron and Kyle's sister from previous books). I really like that all the characters meet up in this cozy Chicago world of FBI agents and US Attorneys. I'm wondering what James does when she runs out of characters in her Chicago universe to write stories about?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About That Night.