Sarah (YA Love)'s Reviews > Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

**Updated--I originally read this as an audiobook, but I read it aloud to a couple of my classes. It's such a good book, but kind of tough as a read aloud since D.J. rambles so much. **

Review originally posted at Y.A. Love

After a number of high recommendations from friends, and listening to the sample on Audible, I knew I had to listen to Dairy Queen. What I’m discovering as I continue to listen to audiobooks, is that so many narrators can make or break the book. In this case, Natalie Moore made this book. She is D.J. whether I continue to listen on audio or pick the book up to read. As I’m sitting here typing this review I can hear D.J. voice perfectly. I haven’t listened to as many audiobooks as others, but so far Natalie Moore is the best narrator I’ve heard. She used a Wisconsin accent and everything when reading Dairy Queen! Even better, she never strayed and spoke as other characters when she wasn’t supposed to. That’s something that impresses me, especially during scenes with a lot of dialogue. Since finishing Dairy Queen I’ve listened to the second book The Off Season and I plan on listening to the third book, Front and Center. If you’re new to audiobooks, starting with Dairy Queen is an excellent choice! If you love listening to audiobooks and haven’t read Dairy Queen yet, then listening to this one next is an excellent choice!

One of things I love best about Dairy Queen is that not only is the audio awesome, the story is too. D.J. doesn’t think of herself as especially pretty, smart, or special in any way. She’s a Schwenk dairy farmer and that’s pretty much it. Her brothers are the ones that are special because they’re away playing college football. D.J. begins to think differently of herself when Brian Nelson, a rival high school football player, comes to work on their farm. He needs a better work ethic and as D.J. spends more time with him, she’s forced to think of herself differently. Is she just a cow doing what’s expected of her, or is she going to stand out and do what she really wants? Spending more time with Brian also helps D.J. realize that maybe she needs to be a better communicator, something she and her family don’t practice enough. Dairy Queen is an excellent contemporary novel about the importance of family and following your heart’s desire, whether it’s love or football or both.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dairy Queen.

05/16/2012 "I'm listening to the audio for this one and I'm loving it. It's a cute and funny book, plus the actor does a great job narrating the story." 4 comments
05/17/2012 "I'm up to chapter 17 right now, and D.J. is seriously cracking me up and making me kinda sad all at once." 1 comment