Angela's Reviews > Moonglow

Moonglow by Kristen Callihan

I fell in love with Daisy and Ian from the very beginning. Having had no real feelings for them while reading Firelight, this surprised me somewhat, but they are fabulous. Daisy is smart, has a strong will, and is absolutely captivating. After years of abuse at the hands of her husband she has some scars – inner and outer – to work past and seeing her overcome them with Ian was perfect. Speaking of Ian, he's utterly perfect. He has demons that haunt him, and fights himself nearly every step of his life – against his memories, his clan, and his lycanthropy. The one thing he doesn't fight is his respect and desire for Daisy. I was with them every step of the way, watching them fall in love, and sighing in delight as they fit themselves together.

Though I guessed who the killer werewolf was fairly early in the story, it didn't stop it from being an emotionally charged suspenseful storyline. Every moment that Daisy and Ian spent on the trail, trying to save more innocent lives, was absolutely gripping to me. And the resolution nearly had me in tears.

I felt like the world building was strong and simple in Firelight, there wasn't a lot of extraneous detail bogging down the story and I loved it for that. Moonglow continues in that same vein. Beautifully evocative descriptions painted the picture of this Darkest London as we are handing bits and pieces to make the world a bit larger, clearer and more vivid. As we're introduced to more and more supernatural beings I never felt like it was getting too crowded or confusing, rather I just wanted more and more. Several of my friends were enamoured of the GIMs (and I won't spoil what they are), but while I'm intrigued, I'm still figuring out what I feel in general, though I absolutely loved something so different from anything I'd read before being introduced into this dark and lovely world.

While I don't think one needs to read Firelight prior to reading Moonglow I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't. Both are excellent books, with fantastic characters, and a detailed, growing world. There's a slight cliff-hanger at the end of Moonglow with regards to another set of characters that might have fans on the edge of their seats anticipating the next book.

I was greatly anticipating this book from the moment I finished Firelight, which I loved and couldn't put down. Kristen Callihan did not disappoint, and in fact I think she continues to get better and better! I loved this book from the moment I picked it up, the characters are my favorites in the series, and I grew more enamoured of the world through each page. Now I really can't wait for Winterblaze which is due out February 2013.

***

Immediate thoughts on 7/23/2012:(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonglow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored Thank god! Anzu was disappointed and I was very worried!

Angela I hate when I don't get notifications!

I was worried too when I saw Anzu's review! And immensely relieved when I ended up loving it. :D

Aly is so frigging bored I.ll have to bump it up then :)