Aileen Frost's Reviews > Lion in the Valley

Lion in the Valley by Elizabeth Peters

May 20, 12

bookshelves: mysteries
Read from May 16 to 20, 2012

This is the second Amelia Peabody I have read, and it will be my last. While I wasn't thrilled with the characters in Crocodile on the Sandbank,the mystery itself was okay and I figured that by the time Elizabeth Peters got to book number 4, all the things that irritated me would have been ironed out. Nope, they are even worse.

The main characters are so unlikable! Amelia and Emerson are just so arrogant. They are constantly having conversations that boil down to them saying, "I knew that." "Well, I knew it before you knew it." "But I knew it even before I needed to know it" etc, etc.

And there is Amelia constantly telling the reader about her intimate life with her husband. I don't care. It has no bearing on the mystery and it does nothing for character development.

The mystery itself was easily figured out and terribly cliche. The last good Master Criminal was Professor Moriarty.

What gives it 2 stars instead of 1 is the way that Elizabeth Peters describes the Egyptian desert and the digs. The imagery she uses is beautiful and I can see the setting in my mind.

(Oh and Amelia and Emerson's son, Ramses, may be the most annoying character in all of fiction. And it REALLY bothers me that the author decided to have Amelia not care about her son in the slightest and simply see him as an annoyance. If you can't write someone that even a mother could like, how is a reader supposed to like him?)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lion in the Valley.

05/17/2012 page 163