Lena's Reviews > Writing Without Teachers

Writing Without Teachers by Peter Elbow

Sep 17, 08

Great little book! Helped me get through my writer's block. The book is proposing a way to improve as a writer by writing something each week and finding a dedicated group of people that can give each other feedback. I haven't quite gotten that far, but the introductory chapters on how to write were invaluable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Without Teachers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilze (new)

Ilze Lemme BET Peter Elbow got his ideas from Julia Cameron (who gives similar advice)

Lena I've read her "The Artist's Way". It was also really good, but I don't think I finished all her recommendations. I would have had to change my life 110 degrees to do that. I found Peter Elbow's style to be different - it helped me look at writing from a different angle. He basically allowed me to start from where I was and finish. I didn't have to go through a series of exercises before I could write.
His introductory chapters, where he talks about "growing" and "cooking" writing processes, were the most helpful to me.