Sam Quixote's Reviews > B.P.R.D.: Being Human

B.P.R.D. by Mike Mignola

May 16, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

These are the collected origin stories of (most of) the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence or BPRD for short.

Liz Sherman's dark and pyrotechnic origin is told in the longest story here and she is taken into the care of Professor Bruttenholm and Hellboy, travelling to what will become her first case for the BPRD, a case of a haunted forest and a murderous ghost.

Roger the Golem's origins are in another book ("Hellboy: Wake the Devil") but the first adventure with him and Hellboy is told here as they investigate a haunted house and a witch who's raising the dead.

Johann Kraus' origin is revealed, though I think they've been told in another book before. How he was separated from his body during a séance and has been disembodied ever since.

It's not a bad book but if you've been reading the BPRD books for a while now, like I have, then you'll be more than familiar with the origins of the characters and won't need this book to remind you of them. New readers on the other hand might find this book a good introduction to the characters before embarking on the series proper. "Being Human" has some decent artwork and stories but isn't the best read of the BPRD I've read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read B.P.R.D..