Cheeyee's Reviews > Almost a Scandal

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, romance, historical
Read from May 16 to 20, 2012

Review At: I Read, I Think, I Share

Review Date: 20 May 2012

Review URL: http://littlemermybooks.blogspot.com/2012/05/almost-scandal-by-elizabeth-essex.html

Summary:

This is like the western version of Mulan. The story is a little predicted, but nonetheless Elizabeth Essex's writing has captured my attention from page one up to the last page. Sally is bold, intelligent and strong. Being a girl, she's definitely not in any disadvantage situation as compared to other midshipmen. In fact, she's much better than others. I admire her refused-to-give-up spirit and dare to speak up when seeing things not right. Even her own feelings towards Colyear, she did not try to hide it when the opportunities arrived. She grabbed it without any regret, despite their future was unknown. She's amazing, really amazing. As for Colyear, I feel that he's a little overshadowed by Sally. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Colyear is not great. Just the story is more focus on Sally. I think besides her family, only Colyear knows how to handle Sally, whether as his subordinate or as his partner. It's interesting to read how Sally keep on challenging Colyear instead of accepting the order without any question.

The author sets a very good pace on Sally's life at the sea. The author also has her own way on describing the different scenes in the story, be it the chores at the ship, being bullied, or even when facing with the enermies. I enjoy reading this book very much. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Note: I receive the digital ARC of this book from the publisher via Net Gallery. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost a Scandal.