Shannon's Reviews > The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life

The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life by Tara Altebrando

May 15, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, hate-the-protagonist, would-watch-if-it-was-a-movie
Read from July 10 to 11, 2012 , read count: 1

After finishing this book, I totally want to go on a scavenger hunt. We had senior tag at my high school, but nothing as extreme as what took place in this story. The story's set-up in general was what ultimately won me over. It all seemed so fun and exciting and I would have killed to run around town with my friends getting into trouble. It was cool to see the competition and the problems they ran into along the way. The stuff on the list was the most random crap of all time and I loved it. There was one thing that bothered me though. The goldfish thing was horrible and it was so freaking messed up how Winter and the others laughed it up in the aftermath of the situation. I don't even care that it was just a goldfish, but I hope you will go to hell for that. I feel terrible for poor Poppy and I'm shocked at Winter for being such a monster to steal her sister's pet.

The main character Mary is one of the most unlikable heroines I've ever read about. I know I say this all the time in reviews, but I seriously couldn't stand anything about her. I have a whole host of words in mind to describe Mary and none of them are positive. Mary goes on about how no one knows her, but I'm not surprised she wasn't popular with a personality like the one she has. She complains all the time about all the a-holes at her high school, how mean they are, etc. It made me laugh because she is just as bad if not worse than all the people she hated. The first thing that pissed me off the most was the whole Carson thing. Mary was obsessed with him to the point. Rumors were going around that Carson was going to call it quits with his girlfriend and Mary is convinced that Carson is tortured by not being able to act on his feelings towards her. I wanted to slap her. Like really? The guy is dumping his girlfriend, so of course it must be because of you. She just came off as very narcissistic. It reminded me of my cousin. A guy would be friendly and say hi to her and she'd be certain that he wanted to marry her and father her children. Carson didn't give her any signs that he was so madly in love with her, so I don't know what she was smoking. Mary acted like she had some claim over him and I wanted to tell her to get over herself. Mary's thoughts were split between her vendetta against Barbone and the whirlwind love story her and Carson would have. My god, it became gag worthy after a certain point. Throughout the book, Mary continues to get on my nerves. She's judgmental, self-centered, arrogant, mean, negative, and the list goes on and on. The whole book was a series of woe-is-me speeches from Mary and it bothered the crap out of me. Mary, your life is not that hard! STOP THE PITY PARTY!! Several characters shared my same feelings about Mary and instead of changing for the better, she was either shocked that they thought that or didn't really catch the hint. I hated Mary so much that I probably wouldn't have continued to read this book if it wasn't for the really cool scavenger hunt premise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life.

07/10/2012 page 102