Jennifer's Reviews > Plan B

Plan B by Jonathan Tropper

1207052
May 20, 12

Read from May 15 to 17, 2012

Just OK. I have read 3 other books by Tropper and enjoyed them much more than this one. This is his debut novel, and I can definitely say that his writing and stories got better as they went along.

I didn't care for the plot of this book very much--I found it very unrealistic--so it was hard to love the book as a whole when the plot bugged me so much. 5 college friends who are now turning 30 are all struggling with who they are and trying to come to terms with the fact that for most of them, life has not turned out the way they envisioned as fresh-faced, idealistic college grads. One of them, Jack, has a serious drug problem, so the rest of the group decides to take him to a mountain cabin to sober up and help him get his life together.

The problem with this is that Jack doesn't want to go, so the friends literally kidnap him. We're talking ambushing him and stabbing him with a needle full of a drug to make him fall asleep, so they can drag him to their car and whisk him away to the cabin. This all takes place in a hospital where one of the friends (a doctor) works. Just a tad far-fetched.

I liked the main character, Ben, though I notice that all of Tropper's protagonists are male, and are basically the same guy--very witty, funny, yet overly introspective and analyzing the crap out of every single thing that happens or every single feeling, emotion, or word uttered. Of course there has to be some of that in novels, but sometimes it's a bit overkill and I start thinking Ben just needs to sack up and quit being such a chick sometimes.

All in all, this was a quick, entertaining read, but not something I'm likely to remember for very long.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plan B.