natercopia's Reviews > What They Always Tell Us

What They Always Tell Us by Martin  Wilson

1927773
May 16, 2012

Read from May 15 to 16, 2012

It started out slow and at times boring. Ok, it was kind of boring throughout. But what I gathered is that sometimes boring stuff makes you contemplate on the complicated emotions humans possess. There was a sense of restlessness right at the beginning of the story when an accident at a party cause a drift between brothers, Alex and James. You could already sense the confusion and frustration that was facing the older brother, James. I felt that the 'cold' treatment he was giving off to his brother was understandable. What was heartbreaking during that point was that James felt empty about his life. He had everything good going on (school, sports, girls, parties) for him but he was still struggling with hurt. I don't think he being an asshole to Alice was intentional but more of he had a difficulty expressing himself. Just like the way he couldn't gather his thoughts to express his emotions to Alex about the accident. The way it turned out was 'cold' and 'distant'.

The moment that James decides to defend his brother was probably one of the sweetest thing he had done throughout the story. And you could also tell that it was the end of his 'hurt':

James stares at him silently. His dislike for Tyler only intensifies as he sits there, watching him squirm in denial. “He’s my brother, Tyler. My brother. ”

There was also Nathen that I thought was pretty sensitive towards the whole accident. What I liked about the relationship that blossom is that it wasn't magnified/glorified but see itself as a way to Alex's hope towards life. I still couldn't comprehend why the accident happen or what made Alex do it. There isn't any exciting or dramatic plot to look forward to. It was more of melancholy for me, somewhat like a quiet argument between friends and family. I liked that Wilson took time to develop both characters gradually till both find their way to heal and rekindle their bond.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What They Always Tell Us.