Laura Graves's Reviews > We'll Always Have Summer

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han

May 20, 12

bookshelves: year-2012, ages-young-adult, listened-to
Read from May 15 to 20, 2012

It was so nice to be at the end of this series. I feel like my heart has been broken a hundred times by these characters. I just needed something good to happen. It took the entire three books to make it there, but I finally got my ending. I feel so drained by it, but I think it’s a good thing.

Belly stole my heart in book one. I adore her. I loved watching her grow into herself. I think one of the things that’s great about Belly is that she feels so real. She could be me or my best friend. I’ve felt all the things that Belly felt in these books. It’s one of the most realistic portrayals of being a teenage girl that I’ve ever read. The boys had it a little harder. Sometimes I wanted to hit them or scream at them for being so stupid. How could Conrad push everyone away like that? How could Jeremiah do something so unforgiveable? It’s so unlike him! I suppose I’ve watched them grow up too, but it’s been from a distance, the same way Belly witnessed it. One thing is certain: I still loved them. I loved all the characters and how real they were. They are what made the books so amazing.

I really didn’t see any of this plot coming. It was such a surprise for me. I rode the fence a lot during it. I wasn’t sure who I agreed with. I only knew how I wanted things to end. Luckily, I got my wish. That made me happy, but what made me even more happy was that the ending wasn’t too perfect. It wasn’t so perfect that it was unbelievable. It took time for things to work out right and that is so important.

I was so glad to have Conrad’s point of view in this book. He’s been such a mystery that knowing for sure how he felt was very refreshing. I’m sorry to say I don’t have any quotes. Those are hard to grab when I’m listening to audio. I was also very in the story during these books and was never thinking about the review or what I might want to quote. I guess that’s a good thing though.

Jessica Almasy did a great job with these audiobooks. I know I was a little wary of her at first, but she’s really grown on me. She’s become the voice of Belly for me. And I loved her voices for the guys. Their subtle, but definitely different from the girly sound of Belly. I’ll be honest, though. I wasn’t really listening critically this time. I was far too emotionally involved in this book to worry about anything but the characters I love. I think she did great though because she never pulled me out of the world. She always seemed in the moment.

In short, We’ll Always Have Summer is an amazing conclusion to an amazing coming-of-age series. Jenny Han perfectly captures what it’s like to be a teenage girl and the trials of making love work. I highly recommend this to contemporary YA fans.

Content: Profanity, mild violence, sexual references

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We'll Always Have Summer.