jenjn79's Reviews > Raine

Raine by Elizabeth Amber

Jun 02, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, reviewed, info-full, genre-romance-erotic-historical, theme-mm, format-trade-pb, series-lords-of-satyr, published-2008, stars-4
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Recommended for: those with very open minds
Read in June, 2009

And I thought the first book was odd! Add a hermaphrodite into the mix, and this book tops the first. It definitely makes for a unique type of story that you won't come across often.

Now that Nicholas has found and married his FaerieBlend wife, it is Raine's turn. He's not so anxious to me married...again. His first try imploded when his human wife could not handle his extreme sensuality and he vowed never to marry again. Or to sire children that would have to face the life he has as a half-Human, half-ElseWorlds creature. But the King has ordered that he find one of the FaerieBlends he sired and marry her. So that's what he sets out to do.

Jordan Cietta has no idea that ElseWorlds blood flows in her veins. She just knows that she is a freak of nature...born with both male and female genitalia. But she has lived her life as a male because it was the only way for her mother to inherit the family fortune. The doctor who delivered her went along with it with a promise that he could use Jordan as a medical marvel and show her at lecture's once a year every year on her birthday. It's at one such lecture that Raine first sees her.

Fate throws them together and Jordan is delighted to realize Raine sees her as a woman and is attracted to her. She agrees to be his "companion" for a time, but decides to do whatever necessary to hide her true nature. Little does she know that Raine already knows. As they spent time together, Raine fights his true feelings, but as danger threatens Jordan, he must face his fears of relationships if he hopes to protect Jordan and make her his.

I've got to give the author super bonus points for such a unique character dynamic in using a hermaphrodite as one of the lead characters. That's definitely not something I've encountered in another story before...and probably not one I'll encounter again. It certainly lends a different air to the story. If the hero had been anyone other than a Satyr character, I don't think the hermaphrodite aspect would have worked. But it does seem to fit the type of story this is. I did wish the author had prodded a little more into Raine's acceptance of Jordan's nature and his willingness to explore Jordan's dualistic sexuality. It seemed kind of glossed over.

I thought it was interesting how the author had Jordan being used as a medical specimen in the beginning of the story. A bit sad to think that things like that really happened to people who had something extremely different about them. So I thought it was a good inclusion into the story.

The Bishop obsessed with Raine was kind of odd and did little for the story. Especially since Raine never found out exactly what the deal was there. It made that part rather superfluous.

Like the first book in this series, it's hard for me to say exactly what I thought of the book. It's odd, unique, kind of freak-show interested. It had parts I enjoyed and other parts that dragged a little. The romance was somewhat good. And the originality was excellent. Overall, the book is a weird, sex-filled curiosity. It's definitely meant for the more open minded, though.

WARNING, this book contains: explicit sex and language, males who grow a second penis during Moonful and who use both on a woman at once, anal sex, a hermaphrodite "heroine", sex with a statue, m/m scenes involving a secondary character, m/m(hermaphrodite) scenes involving the H/H, some violence, experimentation on a hermaphrodite, references to fisting...and if you've gotten through all that and not run off screaming, then you have a good idea of what else might pop up in this book.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raine.

message 1: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Whew!

message 2: by Dina (new)

Dina Oh. My. God!

message 3: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB So. I have to ask - sex with a statue?

message 4: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee LOL Isis! I love your "warnings"!:) This whole series sounds just a little too odd for even me.:)

message 5: by Miss Kim (last edited Jun 02, 2009 11:41AM) (new)

Miss Kim After the pearl discussion last week, I was afraid to start one about the statue! Thanks for asking, Melissa! LOL

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Now I have to check these out. Just for curosity sake. LOL

message 7: by Corrine (new)

Corrine These sound pretty extreme.

jenjn79 gotta go to work soon, but here's a quick expl. on the statue...

Morpheus wanted Jordan in the ElseWorlds so he bespelled her in her sleep. He seduced her to his statue on the Satyr estate making her think it was Raine. The statue was an erect nude and she thought it was Raine and went at it. If she'd climaxed Morpheus would have claimed her. But Raine stopped it in time. Still...she got it on with a marble dick.

message 9: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Wow - well, I am sure it was hard as stone ..... Sorry I just couldn't resist

jenjn79 LOL...

It is definitely an odd series. Very creative, in my opinion. Just not exactly my type of story.

Okay, off to work. Have a good night everyone!

message 11: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Whoa. haha.

Teryl Jordan is a hermaphrodite with both parts, so it was a little weird to read about a woman having a penis that orgasmed too.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I enjoyed this books, too, but I have been able to "get into" the fourth one in the series.

Daisiemae Great Review, Isis!