Trudi's Reviews > Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) by Hugh Howey

Aug 21, 14

bookshelves: apocalyptic-types, on-my-kobo, series, science-fiction, 2012-reads, dystopia, kick-ass-heroines, awesome
Read from October 16 to November 13, 2012

Outstanding!

WOOL began its life as a self-published short novella in July of 2011. That's hard to believe. I feel like I've been hearing about this thing for ages and ages.

So I'm late to the party, but not that late. Due to excited reader response over WOOL 1, author Hugh Howey quickly released the next four parts in the series. Then came along this Omnibus which collects Parts 1-5. There is now a 2013 edition with a great new cover that features a blurb by none other than Justin Cronin, author of The Passage.

In a few short years, Howey has given all struggling writers out there toiling away at their craft in obscurity real hope. Word of mouth among bloggers and enthusiastic readers on sites like Amazon and Goodreads has the potential to lift the curse of invisibility from self-published works so that they may find their way to audiences who will love them. Never before have the barriers between author and reader been so few, the access so direct. No longer are authors strictly dependent on big publishing houses to discover them and deem their work important enough to go to market accompanied by a sexy publicity campaign. Authors and readers are doing it for themselves, and I for one think it's a beautiful thing.

I love everything about this story -- I love the details of the world-building, I love the characters, I love the shifting points of view, I love the slow burn when you're not sure what is going on. When it became clear to me exactly what was going on I love that I wasn't disappointed. For a post-apocalyptic story trodding very familiar science fiction territory, it still feels fresh. The author definitely gives it his own spin.

I love that the stakes are so high. I love that the author is patient and in control of his narrative. That he doesn't reveal too much too soon. That he understands the relationship between tension and release. All of that to say, I love that the writing is so strong and capable (I've read too much self-published stuff where the prose is inexcusably sloppy). Howey's writing is the exact opposite of sloppy. It's polished. Its engine hums. The shoes are shiny and it's wearing a tie. It's ready to take home to mom.

Finally, I love Juliette. She's Ellen Ripley, Katniss Everdeen, and Dana Scully all rolled up into one. She's got brains and courage and heart and a will made of iron.

There's a lot of under-developed, underwhelming dystopian fiction kicking around out there these days. WOOL leaves those attempts in its dust. It's worth your time. Trust me.

Book trailer available here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1).

10/20/2012
26.0% "I'm really enjoying the world-building and slow burn on this one, but it's not quite meeting my macabre requirements for October. There shall be a self-imposed interlude til post-All Hallow's Eve."
11/12/2012
65.0% "Finally getting back to this. And it's good. As in really really good. The mystery of "what the hell is going on" has me hooked. I. Need. To. Know. Hope the big reveal can live up to this phenomenal buildup."

Carol. Oh! Just heard from an adult what an interesting book this was. Look forward to your review!

Maciek This looks really good! BTW<\. You've read exactly 777 books! Nice number. LOL!

Trudi Maciek wrote: "This looks really good! BTW<\. You've read exactly 777 books! Nice number. LOL!"

I remember when I hit 666. That was creeeeepy. I had to add another book right away! LOL

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith I have the first book on my TBR list .... but this set seems like a better bet. No waiting for the next one!!! You like the series?

Trudi Sue wrote: "I have the first book on my TBR list .... but this set seems like a better bet. No waiting for the next one!!! You like the series?"

I just finished it Sue, and LOVED it! Get the Omnibus. It's better bang for your buck, and the narrative momentum you get is priceless.

Leighton Wool was awesome...

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith Trudi wrote: "Sue wrote: "I have the first book on my TBR list .... but this set seems like a better bet. No waiting for the next one!!! You like the series?"

I just finished it Sue, and LOVED it! Get the Omn..."

I agree on reading momentum. I've lost interest in more series because of lack of books to continue! I'll look for this one. Perhaps it will end up on a Christmas wishlist! (never too early to start!).

Carol. That looks like a game trailer...

Maciek This looks very good, Trudi - added to my TBR!

Carol. Re-liking this review for the line "It's ready to take home to mom."

Trudi Carol wrote: "Re-liking this review for the line "It's ready to take home to mom.""

Why thank you lady :)

Trudi I was just doing a bit of spit and polish on the review myself so that it too is ready to take home to mom :)

George82 Perfect comment about Jules. She's an amazing heroine. Definitely the Ripley of Wool

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Thanks for the dilemma ! I'm currently reading NOS4ar2. I had The Troop or The Martian lined up to read next and now after reading your great review I think I need to move this one up the list. Oh and apparently I have a life I need to participate in which always tries to interrupt my reading time. Thanks for re-igniting my interest in this one.

message 15: by Trudi (last edited Aug 22, 2014 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trudi Haha, I know right? So many books, so little time. All the ones you mentioned are great. What a bounty you have to look forward to!