Kelly Wiggains's Reviews > Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job

Quitter by Jon Acuff

May 15, 12

Read in February, 2012

If you need to be inspired, go pick up a copy of Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job. Jon Acuff is one of my favorite people on the internet. He has an enormously popular blog Stuff Christians Like (stuffchristianslike.net), where he uses satire and humor to discuss issues facing Christianity. He has a professional site (jonacuff.com), where he writes about productivity and achieving your dreams.

Acuff starts the book with a description of shedding the clothes of his dream job back into his day job, much like Superman changing back into his normal office wear to head back to The Daily Planet. He provides a full narrative of how he became a professional quitter, working and quitting eight jobs from 1998 to 2006. Acuff layers his book with personal experience, insight, and hilarity.

All in all, Quitter talks the reader out of quitting a job you hate in order to wisely pursue your dream. Having the day job keeps uncertainty out of the equation and allows you to make decisions to feed your dream down the road.

1. Hustle: Acuff emphasizes the need of hustling for what you want. This chapter reminded me of when I had to work as a full-time teacher yet longed to be home. I edited for a mystery shopping company, trimmed our budget, and cut expenses. Hustle allows you to compete against yourself and measure your progress based on your own goals. He emphasizes the dangers of competition as a measurement. Comparing yourself to others leads down a destructive path. I found this to be incredibly meaningful as a mom as well as a writer.

2. Making a risk list: When you are ready to make the plunge to take your dream job, Acuff emphasizes how risks will still be in the equation. He suggests making a risk list to keep from feeling blind-sided later on, when doubts about your decision start to creep in. Risk lists are a new tool I’m adding to our decision-making process for sure. Genius idea.

3. Hinge moments: The hinge moment pops up early on in the book. Acuff describes the hinge moment as a time “when you are planning to do something standard and normal, something you’ve done many times before, like turn a key in the ignition. And then, seemingly out of nowhere, something, a small detail usually, hinges you in a different direction.” He walks you through defining hinge moments in your own life by asking a series of questions, like “What do I love enough to do for free?” and “What do I do that causes time to feel different?”

I highly recommend this book if you feel stuck in a job you don’t love, but I also recommend this book to help those of us keep the jobs we love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quitter.