S.C. Stephens's Reviews > The Opportunist

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

May 29, 12

Wow! I needed a minute to collect my thoughts after this one. This book was recommended to me by a friend that said—-you have to read this so we can talk about it! I glanced over the reviews, and after seeing a sea of shouty capitals and exclamation points, I thought, she’s right, I need to read this!

I am so glad I did!

First off, the descriptive turn of phrases in this book made me smile. Every other paragraph had something in it that made me take notice. Even the hard parts were a joy to read—-which is saying something, because there are some REALLY hard parts in this!

Second…Olivia, Olivia, Olivia. I loved her and I felt like I understood her and her issues. I also wanted to shake her and scream some sense into her too! I wanted to magically heal her, show her what her life could be, and then set her loose to happily walk into the sunset. But she needed the journey she went through, as painful as it was.

And lastly, Caleb. Wow, I think I love this man. Is he perfect? Heck no! Did I like all of his choices? Definitely not! But I love him regardless. Some of the scenes between Caleb and Olivia will be staying with me for a very long time, the good ones and the bad ones.

I can’t say that I loved how it ended, but I understand it…sort of. I’m still working it out in my head, actually. But I think that what happened needed to happen for the sake of the characters. Olivia especially. That being said, I also don’t see the ending as being the end. In my mind, there is more, so much more! I only hope that someday the fantabulous Tarryn Fisher will agree with me! Please?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opportunist.

Comments (showing 1-31)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Karen Brace yourself...

Happy Triple like!!!! Refrain from throwing your reading device against the wall :)

message 29: by S.C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.C. Stephens Lol, yes, I refrained...barely! OMG...I need some time to process this...

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Bring on Calebs book!!

Carla There is still more two books. The next is from Leah's POV.

Rachelle Perfectly summed up review SC.. Tarryn and you have given me an ulcer I do believe. :)

Maggi Excellent review!! "Like" doesn't quite cut it :-) I am still devastated over this book and yet I cannot wait for the next one!

message 23: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Stop reading and finish Thoughtless #3! ;-) Still takes my breath away and can't wait to read more.

message 22: by S.C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.C. Stephens Lol, Laurie! I will try harder to curb my reading habit. There are just so many good books out there!

Stephanie So this is worth reading I guess? Need a new book to read, after reading Effortless again!

Kristin I have been reading about this book for a week or so now and from all the angst it seems to be causing people, I have been kind of "scared" to read it...for the lack of a better word.

Stephanie Yeah I know, I feel the same why. These young adults books r harder to read then adult books.

Carla Yeah Laurie, i realized the same thing. She's reading too much. What about our book!? This wait kills me! hahaha Especially when i finished this one. It reminded me so much of thoughtless. Not because they're alike but because i felt similar things. They're all so humam... so imperfect. How not love them?!

Stephanie I agree girls, we need the 3rd book. I guess I should give this book a try when done w/Effortless for the 2nd time. Any other recommendations while waiting :)

Mary Beth I just finished it and I am a still a little torn up, almost as much as I was after reading Thoughtless.

Mary Beth Happy wrote: "Triple like!!!! Refrain from throwing your reading device against the wall :)"
Yeah, I had to fight the urge

message 14: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I can't thank you enough for recommending this book and bringing it into my life! It's the best thing you've done for me since writing Thoughtless and Effortless. Now, I know in my head that you didn't write those FOR me, but I'll never tell my heart that!! Thanks for taking time to comment on this book, I wouldn't have read it otherwise!

Karen S.C. wrote: "Lol, Laurie! I will try harder to curb my reading habit. There are just so many good books out there!"

Yes please.... hurry, missing Kellan!!

Rebecca Well said...

Sandra I completely agree. I've read this book, and i'm half way through, I suspected it had a bad ending, breaking all my rules, I took a sneak peek at the end... I know I know, the ultimate sin when reading, suffice to say I have put this read on hole till there is a sequel with a better ending.

message 10: by Bren (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bren If it weren't for you I would have missed this tear-my - heart out - cant be how it ends cry !!!
I loved every moment and agree that this story is far from over!! Why does Leah get to get away with never being honest ? Anyway thank you again for your wonderful review this managed to slightly curve my Kellan withdrawals ..

Peggy I probably would not have read this book either if it wasn't for you I'm starting to feel like a stalker...
I just finished it and I'm in pain.

message 8: by Mnw (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mnw Clever dialogue...& heart breaking.. A must read.. Still churning the twists & turns in head...ready for the next installment to receive much needed closure...loved loved it

Boookwormlover totally agreeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Gisela I totally agree with you, I still wish for a different endig...but i kind of understand it...how can you trust in somebody who has lied so many times to the peroson they love?

Brooke Hiland I couldn't have said it any better! Everything you said is spot on. I finished this book last night and it's still all I am thinking about. I can't talk about it with anyone becae none of my friends have read th yet. I didn't realize until this morning when checking on this website for other book by Tarryn, that there is going to be a book 2 and 3. I too wished for a different ending, but like you said it happen to happen that way. I hope these next two books can bring them back together. It will be very interesting to read it in Leah's POV, not a fan of her.

message 4: by Sasha (new)

Sasha It's like when Jack dies in the Titanic. That's what the ending is to me.

message 3: by Wen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wen I started reading without knowing that it was a series and just realized that's there's light at the end of the tunnel for Caleb and Olivia, I'm totally hooked!!!

Becky the ending devastated me. I understood it I guess but was heartbroken all the same.

Hope loved loved it!! screamed at the end. understood it but still...come on. Read Dirty Red ...hooked hooked...come on book 3 !!!