Jason Mccool's Reviews > The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? the Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World

The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns

May 15, 12

Recommended to Jason by: Chris Furnell
Read in April, 2012, read count: 1

"The Hole in Our Gospel" is by Richard Stearns, president of World Vision. It's a very challenging book that looks at the role of Christians in helping the poor, the sick, and the oppressed around the world. His story is unique in the fact that he was a successful CEO with no intentions of joining a nonprofit organization when World Vision approached telling him that after much praying, he was the man God wanted them to offer their CEO position to. How would you respond to that?! Anyway, it makes for an entertaining and thought-provoking story of one man's journey (both physically and spiritually) from someone thinking occasionally about "those people over there" to someone actually going to places like Uganda and the Congo, connecting with people that are starving, that are dying from diseases that are cured with a simple $4 prescription here in the States, and that are oppressed by dictators and madmen like Joseph Kony. In fact, while most people didn't know who Kony was until the Kony 2012 video made the rounds on youtube, Mr. Stearns was telling about his atrocities and showing his victims in this book 2 years earlier.
Stearns makes a good case for how we have ignored verses in the Bible that point us to action on behalf of "the least of these". He makes this overarching concept very personal, maybe even uncomfortably so. His question on the book cover is "What does God expect of us?" Not what He wants from us, or what He would be cool with us doing, but what He expects from us. Pretty sobering thought. And one backed up by a lot of Scripture. Lots of resources at the end of the book to continue the learning - and more importantly, translate that learning into action - after the book is read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hole in Our Gospel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bikewriter (new)

Bikewriter Good review of what sounds like a good read. I was just talking with one of my daughters yesterday about a specific encounter involving a "strong Christian" who asked her (re her helping a distressed elderly person of 95), "What's in it for you? Do you really have time to help her?" One would think such a "strong Christian" would have seen the answer without having to ask: "It's not about the helper, it's about someone in need and 'Loving [y]our neighbors as ourselves," dummy!" We can talk the walk, or we can walk the talk.

I'm going to check out this book. And just for grins, I'm also going to try to learn more about Richard Stearns, since my mother's maiden name was Stearns and her ancestors came from Scotland via Massachusetts. There's a big sporting goods manufacturer in Massachusetts by that name.