Gemma's Reviews > It

May 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: horror, paranormal, thrillers
Read from May 31 to June 14, 2012

Let me start with the story here. I watched enough of the movie to get in a few good scares when I was ten, and Pennywise the clown has been nagging me ever since, the creep. Things shifted around, and I thought the time was right to pop those damn balloons, so to speak. And I'm left asking myself, "What the hell was I so scared of?!"

As a horror novel, this blows, to use the slang term. Bigger than Mount St. Helens. There was nothing remotely scary or even creepy about this thing! The worst I got was goosebumps at the very beginning when George Denbrough was killed, and THAT'S ALL. There were some good parts, some downright bizarre (as in what-the-heck-is-going-on) parts, and quite a big huge chunk of boring. Not to say that this didn't have its moments of being interesting and occasionally good, but this was over a thousand pages long, and I was expecting something terrible! Just goes to show, it's never as bad when you meet it head-on.

You know, I think I'm learning how to read Stephen King...expect a lot more depth than first anticipated, and a whole lot less scary stuff. Go figure.

I ended up giving this only three stars because, while it did have some good stuff in it, there wasn't enough of it for a book this long. Mr. King makes some valid points with his assertion that children, more vulnerable to danger than adults, are better equipped to face it because of their abilities to accept the strange and unknown, then move past it. The connection between communication and salvation especially hit home for me due to some struggles with selective mutism, and I really think finally getting the courage to read this might have finally helped me overcome some personal difficulties. Therefore, Mr. King, while I say you have still failed to knock my socks off with some good old-fashioned horror, you still ultimately have my respect and I take my hat off to you.

One more observation before leaving: it wasn't It itself that really creeped me out. Heck, I figured it was more like a boggart out of Harry Potter, and that was the end of it! It was what the people of Derry did to each other, even without Its influence, that got me. It was Richie Tozier who said monsters are cheap, and I'll see him and raise him. Monsters are cheap, but it's people that are scary!

So that's it at last. I've done away with an old fear, discovered what may be the Stephen King formula (dark, evil forces exploiting the darkness and evil in mankind and using it for nefarious purposes), and made note of the score. Gemma-2. King-0.

Think I'll give "Carrie" a shot next...third time's the charm, eh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It.

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne I tried several times to read "It" but just couldn't get into it. Nothing to keep my interest. I have been blasted on one of my groupd for hating it, but hate what I read, I did. I am NOT a fan of Stephen King.

Gemma It was sheer stubbornness that kept me going through the dense spots. It started out promising, so I have no clue why it derailed the way it did. I'm not much of a Stephen King fan either, really...but for some strange reason I'm still looking for the book that will actually scare me.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne If you want a real scary one, read Dean Koontz's "Twilight Eyes." Set in a carnival (Clowns always gave me creeps) it is one of his earlier books and may be a bit hard to find, but really good. I've read it twice.

Gemma Thanks for the suggestion, Anne! I'm going to have to find that one. :)