ReadingDiva 's Reviews > Exiled

Exiled by M.R. Merrick

Nov 15, 12

Read from November 08 to 15, 2012

** Originally posted @ ReadingDiva's Blog - Rating 4.5 of 5

REVIEW: I came across Exiled thanks to Twitter, I remember seeing a lot of back and forth regarding this book and as usual I find myself in a battle trying not to fall under the “reading first frenzy.” I purchased the book and it took me a while to get to it. Now that I have finally read it I am quite happy I did. Exiled is the story of Chase a young man who was born under the eyes of a very strict and demanding father. Chase isn’t your typical teenager, not at all. Chase is a hunter, a human with great abilities who are born for the sole purpose of banishing and destroying demons of the underworld. I enjoyed Exiled more than I thought I would. What makes this book different for me is that the story is told from Chase’s POV which for me particularly is quite different but not in a bad way.

It requires a very creative and imaginative mind to create a world like the one M.R. Merrick has created. Chase’s world filled with magic, demons, vampires; parallel dimensions and of course humans, who are capable of destroying the balance between good and evil. This story has a little bit of everything, it has the paranormal aspect which I like very much but it also has the human side which most times is put to the test. When Chase reached the age at which his powers are evoked his excitement was as strong as his fear. Merrick ability to create a world in which the supernatural and humanity mix is fascinating. The plot is entertaining keeping readers on edge, while trying to figure out what’s going to happen next. I found myself jumping lines just to see what was going to happen on the next page. When you add to the mix the concern of a loving mother and a power crazy, demanding & immensely powerful father you can bet something bad is bound to happen.

The characters are passionate and intelligent. Their intensity and ability added balance and edge to this thrilling and non-stop action packed read. Not always you find characters such as Rayna in the YA world, though she is quite young her maturity goes beyond her years. She is dedicated, level headed and funny. Her tragic beginning makes her not only unique but also stronger. The same can be said about Chase, his big heart and love for his mother makes him a fighter. His inability to call his powers or the lack of doesn’t slow him down.

There is a lot happening in this book which prepares you for what’s to come in Shift, there is evil in the air and eminent threat to the peace and harmony. If Chase & Rayna kicked ass in this book I can only imagine what’s going to happen once Chase is able to maintain full control of his abilities. I can’t wait to learn more about Marcus and what his connection to Rayna really is. If you want to read a good YA with a punch of paranormal then this is the book for you, don’t expect smooch and sappy characters, this is an action pack, hold your pants type of read. I enjoy this book and I can’t wait to read Shift.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exiled.