Tom Mueller's Reviews > The One Percenter Encyclopedia: From Abyss Ghosts to Zombies Elite

The One Percenter Encyclopedia by Bill Hayes

May 15, 12

bookshelves: history, non-fiction, mc, photography-art, bibliography, 1stedition, paperback
Recommended for: True Bikers; anyone with an interest in MCs
Read in May, 2012

Bill Hayes did a good job detailing the history of clubs, without the dramatization that is so easy to fall into in any work discussing 1%ers. This work gives the reader an unbiased and factual rendering of all the clubs I know of, and some I had not heard of. The amount of space given each club is in accordance to the size of the club in most regards, with one notable exception. HAMC is given much more coverage than other clubs. In the authors (who is not a Biker) defense, the reason is likely due to the notoriety of HA; over the top media coverage, as well as their involvement in 1960s biker flics. Whereas most clubs keep a low profile in the name of self-preservation, HA have indulged in self promotion.
A most notable quote attributed to the Chosen Few - Buffalo, NY - is "If we all rode together, imagine how strong we could be!" (p. 49). Indeed! The implied premise behind that quote is that Bikers have a common enemy. The threat of that enemy would be minimized if we stood together as a force against that common enemy. I can visualize the snicker on the "alphabet gangs" collective face when we do harm to one another. Togetherness pretty much was where it was at early on, at least through the early to mid 1960s. For more on this and "the way it was", see The Bikeriders, by Danny Lyon. It may be a little hard to find, but is very enlightening and well worth the hunt. For more on our common enemy, see Hayes' Chapter titled "Manual - Cop Guide to Bikers" (p. 226). It is laughable, but reflects the mentality we're up against. Just how many foot pegs have you seen that are capable of firing 12 gauge shells?
Two things about this work that go against the grain are "Printed in China" (so sue me; I'm ethnocentric), and my perception that the term "1%er" is applied to any club that claims it. An example is a certain club that claims to be family oriented, yet remain 1%ers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One Percenter Encyclopedia.