Pamela Hubbard's Reviews > Dreamland Social Club

Dreamland Social Club by Tara Altebrando

Nov 21, 2015

bookshelves: character-doorway, young-adult, setting-doorway, relationships, reality-fiction, audio
Read from November 11 to 20, 2015

This was a different sort of read for me. When the book started, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it, relate to the characters, or get into the story. But as Altebrando moved the story along, the characters gained incredible depth, the plot, while slow, was gripping, and the setting alone made the book what it was.
Jane lost her mother at the age of 6. Her mother grew up on Coney Island as part of the carny world, but left to see the world. Jane's childhood consisted of Coney influences as her family travelled the world for her father's job. When an unexpected event brings Jane to Coney Island for the first time, she starts to discover who her mother really was and thus, who she is and where she belongs. The story flowed effortlessly and nothing felt forced or unsure. It was truly a book about identity, past and present colliding and mysteries being solved. Beautifully written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamland Social Club.

11/11/2015 marked as: currently-reading