Jacqueline Valencia's Reviews > Wishbone

Wishbone by Don Share

Jun 04, 12

Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy

I rarely write reviews. As a reader, I have been very fortunate to have digested some great prose this year. Unfortunately, I don't always have the time to sit down and elucidate my views and feelings on the books I have loved.

I am happy to say that I do have a bit of a moment for that today.

Don Share's Wishbone is a poetry collection infused with a magnetic flow of clear, but biting language. Impressed by the way the prose danced in my head I found myself reading most of it out loud just to take in the full sounds of the spirited rhythms that were manifesting in my mind.

Me *reading 'On Radical Hope'*: "Like a child who feverishly draws/Happy houses, one after the other,/I don't mind if the culpa is all mea:/The crow of plenty caws,/I can't father anyone the way you mother..."

My son: "What are you doing?"

Me: "Reading poetry."

My son: "Shhhh."

Me: "I'm trying! Sometimes though you have to read things like this."

My son: "Like singing?"

Me: "Exactly."

Some of the themes in Wishbone hit close to home for me that I sat for a bit letting them set (sifting them, if you will) in their own way in my head: the struggles of nature, humanity, the every day lament of age, and passing of time. Of course, at the moment, I am in the middle of some heavy meditation in zen, so it is unsurprising that I will find or spin koans from anything. It is to be expected in this journey. Wishbone, however, is filled with welcomed periods of respite and discerning turns of phrase that it kept me both enthralled and amused.

"Sitting Buddha/or shitting Buddha?/The Emperor Claudius/dreams incessantly of fireflies..."

Thank you, Mr. Share, for Wishbone. The words were most needed at that time. They gelled really well with my current state of mind.

I look forward to adventuring through more of Don Share's texts in the very near future and you should too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishbone.