Barndoor's Reviews > How to Be a Woman

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

U_50x66
May 15, 12

Read in April, 2012

A far cry from the romance of the Suffragettes and on the other side of the coin to the men haters, Caitlin Moran tells it how it is to be a woman through her eyes. The book is what it is, and I am surprised that it is hated by so many women, but I loved it. I'm a gay man and I am, as Caitlin splendidly puts it, life's other loser. I cannot in my life understand comments from women that begin with: "I'm not a feminist, but..." of course you are, you have to have some opinion of what it’s like to be a woman. Then there are other comments that start: "It's the funniest book I have read, but I have to give it two stars..." There seems to be a lot of holding back for several reasons, one being this is a book about feminism; the second it's not a book about feminism or how some would perceive feminism; thirdly, it’s a book about feminism; and finally, it's semi-biographical and not fiction and what makes Caitlin qualified to be writing a book about feminism? I put the idea of reading this book to a group of angry women on Facebook, they were ranting on about how women are paid less than men and the subject changed to men hating women, men control women and even that all men are rapists from the moment they are born, popped up on what started as a seemingly harmless one sided debate. I was told that, like Caitlin, I have no idea what I am talking about and then I was promptly blocked. It seems that feminists believe that to be a feminist you have to believe and preach certain things and that you have to be a woman? Take gay rights, yes I believe that gay men and women should have the same rights, but I don’t rightly approve how some gay men and women act and dress, as a gay man why do I have to like certain music, say “Ooooo” a lot and wear Abercrombie and Fitch. Isn’t it all about having the same rights as everyone else and being an individual too boot? This is what Caitlin is trying to get across.

This book is obviously from Caitlin's point of view and there is nothing wrong with that. Does she make sense? Yes, of course she does. Does she make a good point? Yes. Is this book as funny as hell? It is without doubt the funniest book I have ever read. Would I recommend this book for others to read? Yes, but not if you’re easily offended.

Brilliant book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Woman.