Autumn Blues Reviews's Reviews > Illusion

Illusion by Frank E. Peretti

May 24, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from May 15 to 23, 2012

A soulmate connection transcending space and time.

In Illusion, Mandy is the perfect character. I couldn't imagine who would be more perfect for this role than a magician. The author Peretti worked his own magic, weaving this tale. I felt Illusion started out a little slow but picked up momentum as the chapters moved forward. What I was totally not expecting were the twists and turns I encountered throughout the story. The story felt as if it was gliding along the lines of a past life experience yet the story did not go that way at all.

As Mandy sits against a tree at County Fair, she suddenly has a strange feeling that leaves as soon as it arrives, yet it has left her different. It dosen't take Mandy long to realize her reality has changed and now, as she runs around the fair in barefoot and in a hospital gown, she can't find anything that looks familiar or anyone she knows, not her friends not her father, who she knew was at the livestock building with his llamas. Soon Mandy finds herself in a hospital psyche ward trying to convince the staff she is not crazy and from there things only get stranger and stranger.

Illusion has a little bit of everything in it; love, joy, faith, suspense, mystery and a nice touch of science fiction which I found to be the most interesting and my favorite touch. This book is not lightweight as it has 512 pages yet I found myself reading it rather quickly once I got started. The writers prose is easy on the eyes which makes for comfortable reading.

Filled with mystery and intrigue this love story will leave you in awe as Dane and Mandy reconnect after Mandy has moved back in time and is now 40 years younger. It leaves the reader with full awareness of what it may feel like to meet ones soulmate from a different generation, yet not be able to connect due to an age difference.

Toward the end of the book one comes across some real anticipation as the story peaks to a crescendo leaving one wondering what may happen during the great illusion Mandy is getting ready to perfom. At this point Mandy has now learned the truth about her life and is left with only one option, an option that may end her life instantly. What will happen to Mandy? Will she and Dane lose each other for good or will they be reunited and continue to live the rest of their life together?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illusion.

05/15/2012 page 23