Courtney's Reviews > Carter's Big Break

Carter's Big Break by Brent Crawford

May 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ya-lit-realistic-fiction, ya-lit-humor, ya-lit

I really, really, really wanted to love this book. Unfortunately, it was a major disappointment as a follow-up to the seminal, Carter Finally Gets It. It seemed to me like the author rushed to get this sequel to the presses, and just couldn't recapture the same magic as with the original. I also find it quite annoying and transparent that he was obviously trying to write about himself with the director character. While this book had some funny moments and I suppose some important lessons, I wanted more of what made the first one so great: Carter and his equally clueless friends stumbling through the uncertainty and general mayhem of high school. Crawford has proved his chops as perfectly intoning the voice of the adolescent male, I just wish this book had been more about Carter and his bro's braving the minefield of the community pool as opposed to making a "totally deep" independent movie and coming to the rescue of alcoholic teen Disney-type stars. Um, what? Looking forward to Carter's sophomore year, I have faith that Crawford will indeed recover from this rather sizable misstep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carter's Big Break.