Therese's Reviews > A Kingdom's Cost

A Kingdom's Cost by J.R. Tomlin

Aug 05, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, series, free-books, series-complete, kindle-books, book-club-monarchy, england-plantagenet-angevin, cultural-scotland, 2016-reads
Read from August 02 to 05, 2016

The war for Scotland’s independence drags on and is bloodier than ever. Scotland has a king, Robert, but in name only. However his followers are cunning and loyal and will do whatever it takes to gain their freedom. They have much more to lose than the English, especially James Douglas who is completely devoted to his King. He returns from Paris in time to see the horrible execution of William Wallace and knows he will do anything to keep the English (and King Edward) out of Scotland, including burning down his own castle. I also had to remind myself that he was only 19 years old at this time.

Fortunately for the Scots, King Edward dies and Edward II is nothing like his warrior father. When I read these books about history, I’m always asking those “what if” questions; and I can’t help but imagine that the fate of Scotland would have been completely different if Edward II were as competent as his father. Of course he most likely would have lived longer too.

Since I just read a trilogy about Robert the Bruce, I am familiar with James Douglas and was looking forward to another good story. This book has the makings of it but is lacking, and it is hard for me to say just what. I found myself getting distracted frequently… If nothing else the author desperately needs an editor for this Kindle version (i.e. “mayhap” is used to the point where I wanted to scream, but there were other glaring errors as well). At least I know I’m not the only one who feels this way, and I will read the rest of the trilogy hoping it gets better. At least this one was free.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kingdom's Cost.

08/02 marked as: to-read