Nikki's Reviews > Troilus and Criseyde

Troilus and Criseyde by Geoffrey Chaucer

May 15, 12

bookshelves: poetry, medieval-literature, for-class
Read from May 14 to 15, 2012

Yes, another reread of this text, my third this semester. I don't think I'm going to want to read it for a long time after this, lovely as it is. I just can't seem to get to grips with it well enough to do my essay, so I just marathoned it, alongside Shakespeare and Dryden's versions.

I read mostly for Criseyde/Cressida's character, this time. I don't know quite what to make of it, actually: she is so virtuous, and we see her in so much detail for the first part of the story, but then we see her betrayal only from Troilus' point of view -- when it seemed to me that she was the one who risked most for their love, and who was ready to put more into it. Maybe I'm too coloured by Shakespeare and Dryden, though.

(The actual edition I used was the Norton one, so my original comments on that still stand.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troilus and Criseyde.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothea (new)

Dorothea I read this a long time ago, for an essay in a class on Shakespeare in which I compared Shakespeare's and Chaucer's versions. It's been so long that I don't remember what I wrote about at all! But I remember enjoying Chaucer's version very much.

What are you going to write about in your essay?

Nikki I don't know yet; I think something about Criseyde/Cressida's character, but I had to do this reread to try and figure out what.

message 3: by Lucinda (last edited May 20, 2012 01:37AM) (new)

Lucinda Elliot Read this years ago, for 'A' level - and like you, I found Chresyde's character a puzzle; I suppose Chaucer couldn't provide adequate motivation/didn't feel the need to supply it or some such but it is a disappointment that we know so little of the workings of her mind.
I was always puzzled by Shakespeare's Cressida - her betrayal is so abrupt, and that's unexplained, too...