Emily Moore's Reviews > Assembly Required: Notes from a Deaf Gay Life

Assembly Required by Raymond Luczak

May 15, 12

bookshelves: gay, do-not-own, memoir, rainbow-reviews

“It has taken me all my life to say this without hesitation: I am proud of both my deafness and gayness, for they are both one and the same to me: I do not think in terms of whether which is more important than the other. I cannot choose, for they are both entwined in ways impossible to disentangle. Deafness and gayness are both emblems of differentness, the very quality most people are most afraid of being.”

That quote comes near the end of Assembly Required, a fascinating glimpse at what it is like to grow up and live as a man both Deaf and gay. The book is separated into three section: Discovering, Connecting, and Identifying. Each section is divided into mini-chapters which are comprised of small snippets which detail Luczak’s life and experiences. The construction of short bits and pieces makes this a fast and easy read, one that holds the reader’s attention from beginning to end.

There is a bit of repetition between the sections but overall the stories are light yet bursting with meaning, relaying what Luczak has had to overcome throughout his life. For people in the hearing community, this is an enlightening read which provides a view of what it is like to experience the world without the ability to hear. My personal favorite is the “My Technological Evolution as a Deaf Person” section which details each technological advancement that helped to improve Luczak’s life in some way. It is quite informative, and a reminder of how fast technology changes and how the smallest things can make things so much easier for a Deaf person.

Assembly Required is a well written book that is both charming and touching, filled with the life experiences of one man which is definitely recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assembly Required.