Karyl's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

May 18, 12

bookshelves: library-reads, 2012, favorites
Read from May 15 to 17, 2012

How did I get to be 33 years of age without reading this book? Alas, I tried twenty years ago to get into it, and I started it twice, but I just could not do it. I'm not even sure why. Another reviewer said that as a child she had a hard time with all the background and the descriptions, but reading it as an adult, there really wasn't much in the way of background and descriptions, which surprised her. And that is exactly how I felt. How could I, who loved fantasy and sci-fi all through elementary and junior high and high school, *not* be able to get into The Hobbit? I suppose Tolkien has less dialogue than Heinlein, which could account for it.

Regardless, I have now accomplished my task of reading The Hobbit and I really loved it. I felt like Tolkien was this long-bearded old man, with all of us gathered at his knee around the fire, while he spun this tale. It was written to sound like it was part of the oral tradition, and I could very much imagine him telling this to his sons before bed, a little bit each night. I also loved the illustrations -- so very 1930s.

The only part I found myself skimming was the final battle. I'm not one for strategy and maneuvers, so I usually skim such things.

All in all, a lovely, well-written and engaging novel, one that has clearly stood the test of time. And now I suppose I need to read LotR.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

05/17/2012 page 263
95.0% ""If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by kc (new) - rated it 5 stars

kc One of my favorite books of all time! In 6th grade I had to read it for school and HATED it. I believe I never even finished it - the only assigned book I just couldn't make it through. Years a later an older woman I was friends with said it was her favorite book so I read it again. And again. And again. :) I'm glad you gave it another chance too!

Karyl Maybe there's something about it that just doesn't appeal to kids of that age? Oh, you know what it might be? It's written in a little bit of an old-fashioned way since it was written in the 30s, and maybe that's off-putting to some kids. I'm glad I gave it another shot too, and I'm doubly glad I wasn't the only one with that reaction. ;)

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Like you, I forced myself to read The Hobbit and LotR while under severe peer pressure. I have to say, I do love fantasy and science fiction and I still want to be an elf, but I didn't love them. I'm always glad when people enjoy books, but alas, Mr. Tolkien doesn't do it for me.