Jennifer's Reviews > The Lifeboat

1199068
May 15, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I was really pumped up to read this book after reading several gushing and amazing reviews of it in magazines, and it wasn’t quite what I was expecting. This is NOT really a book about surviving at sea in a lifeboat (although that is the exact situation that our narrator, 22-year-old newlywed Grace Winter, finds herself in after the ship she is sailing on with her new husband sinks). Instead, the book is about our very unreliable narrator and trying to figure out the truth of who Grace Winter really is and what role she played in what happened on the lifeboat. (She is on trial when the books starts so we know that SOMETHING happened.) I expected to be blown away by this book, but I wasn’t. If you’re thinking this is a survival book, it isn’t. It is really a psychological thriller masquerading as a survival book. The 1914 setting may appeal to some (these are proper ladies in full dress after all), but I suspect it may end up disappointing you as much as it did me. Still, I was interested in the character of Grace and figuring out the truth of her situation. You’ll want to have someone to discuss it with afterward though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.