Kay's Reviews > The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne

May 20, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: romance
Read from May 15 to 19, 2012

Once again Madeline Hunter has given us a woman of the working or merchant classes, one who has learned her father's art auction business well enough to run the place after he dies. Unfortunately, society and her father's business partner, Darius, the Earl of Southwaite, do not believe that a woman can, or should, run a business.

Things I liked about this book: Usually, Emma does not hold back in telling the earl what she thinks. She (and he?) acknowledge that many of their encounters are based on an "Outrageous Misconception." The book is set in 1798 at the outbreak of the war between France and England, and the historical setting is important to the story.

Things I did not like about this book (I was really unable to read the entire thing straight through): Even though the earl does not approve of her, Emma finds herself succumbing to his smile with tingles all over her body. She is distracted from telling him things by this desire. She can't sleep, etc. She is a ninny that I did not really like. Because of this I could not really buy the love story between her and Darius. He is fascinated by her forthrightness, but early on he discovers that if he smiles at her she will do what he wants. ??? In fact this tingling starts at the second encounter. Nope, did not buy it.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne.