Kate's Reviews > Clara and Mr. Tiffany

Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland

May 15, 2012

I've always loved items made of stained glass which of course led me to Tiffany's works. Having seen some of his company's windows in local churches, I found the descriptions of how they were made interesting. I had known that he himself did not make all the items, but I did not realize how large his company was and how many people he employed. Clara was a bit ahead of her times as the head of one of Tiffany's departments, the only department of women in the company. This time in history was not particularly kind to working women, and Tiffany wouldn't employ any married women, which is why Clara had left, and when widowed returned to work. She has come into her own as a designer and designed and worked on the lamps produced at this time. The book presents the lampshades as one of her ideas pitched to Tiffany, but history cannot confirm that as fact. Also her love life is on hold, she seems to be in love with Tiffany, and doesn't want to marry Bernard because she will then have to leave her work. As the company has been operating in the red, specialty items will not be produced and Clara won't be able to design, so it looks like she'll have to leave anyway. It's a good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clara and Mr. Tiffany.