Elizabeth's Reviews > Redoubt

F 50x66
Oct 04, 12

bookshelves: neverending-series, author-can-do-better, fantasy
Read in October, 2012 — I own a copy

First of all, the writing is not up to Ms. Lackey's usual standards. She needs a better editor, one who will point out her myriad comma splices and trite phrasings, and who will tell her to cut out half the pointless introspection/excessively detailed day-to-day life in favor of actual plot. She also seems to have forgotten how to show story occurring at multiple locations, which makes the last third of the book (you know, the only part that actually has plot in it) really frustrating.

The only really compelling character remains Mags, though I do have a super-duper soft spot for Karsite priests and Fire/Suncats. I miss the days of a strong supporting cast, such as we saw in the Arrows books, the Mage Wars books, the Vows & Honor series, and most of her other works before around 2005. I appreciate stories about individual characters (Alberich! Skif!), but in a series rather than a one-off, it's not enough just to have an interesting main character.

The only thing keeping me reading this series is wanting to know what happens next. I won't be buying the next one (and yes, it looks like there will be a next one, because only half the existing loose ends were tied up in this one, and now there are more). I'm not yet sure if this series will take the honor of being my least favorite Valdemar series from the Mage Winds series, but it's certainly the most frustrating.

This wouldn't be so bad, if Mercedes Lackey hadn't written so many excellent stories years ago. I expect much, much better from her.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redoubt.