Ryan Rector's Reviews > The Outsiders

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

M 50x66
May 15, 2012

I can still remember in 8th grade when my Lit teacher told us that we would be reading The Outsiders. I’ll be honest; I was not excited at all. I didn’t find the whole “greaser” persona to be very interesting. I truly though this book was going to be related to the famous musical Grease. Man, I was completely wrong. It took me a while to get into the book, but when I continued to read it I became more and more interesting. I really liked to see how different life was back in that time period. I got really connected to the characters, especially Johnny Cade. I believe that I was interested in him the most because his home life was by far the roughest. I felt this great amount of guilt, and sympathy for him. The gang was the only place he could really be happy. He was always scared and nervous; you can obviously tell the consequences of the beating he got by the rival gang the Socs. You can also see how much these other boys mean to Johnny. The main point in the book where you can see this protectiveness is when Johnny ends up killing Bobby in the park. This gang, and mainly Pony Boy mean the whole world to Johnny, and this definitely shows in this part of the book. Most people would see Johnny as a cold killer, and the Greaser and a bunch of poor trouble makers, but we see this is not the case when they go into the burning church to save the children that are trapped inside. While they are getting the children out of the church the building collapses on top of them. Dally and Pony Boy get away from the incident with minor injuries but Johnny gets seriously hurt. While Johnny is still in the hospital the Socs’ and the Greasers’ rivalry come to a boiling point at the rumble. The Greasers eventually win, but right after the rumble they go back to hospital to find out that Johnny is close to death. This is when Johnny says his famous quote, “Stay Golden Pony Boy.” This is a very significant quote and can be seen as the moral of the book. After Johnny’s death Dally loses all control, he ends up robbing a grocery store and then the cops come looking after him. He calls the boys and tells them what happened. The gang tries to find Dally before anything worse happens to him. When the finally find Dally, he pulls a gun on the cop. The cops have no choice but to kill Dally. Now Pony Boy has to deal with the deaths of his too very close friends. This takes its toll of Pony Boy. His grades eventually slip, and he continues to fight with his older brother Darry. Pony Boy eventually comes to terms with his friend’s deaths. The interesting thing about the book is found out to be written by Pony Boy himself. This book is a term paper that he has to do for his English class. Overall I really enjoyed the book. The more you read the book, the more you will get attached to the characters. You start to believe that they are real people, and that you are actually there with them experiencing all of these events. It really grabs you and pulls you in. This is not a book for ever one; I believe that this book is best for boys between the ages of 13-18. The boys would be able to relate to this book that girls in my opinion. I will always remember this book; I will most likely show it to my children one day. I am very glad that I have been given the opportunity to enjoy this book, and I hope that many more people will be able to enjoy it the way that I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsiders.