Sergio A.M.'s Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

Quotes Sergio Liked

J.D. Salinger
“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”

J.D. Salinger
“Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”

J.D. Salinger
“Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.”

J.D. Salinger
“That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can.”

J.D. Salinger
“It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.”

J.D. Salinger
“I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible.”

J.D. Salinger
“People are always ruining things for you.”

J.D. Salinger
“I like it when somebody gets excited about something. It's nice.”

J.D. Salinger
“If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she's late?”

J.D. Salinger
“People never notice anything.”

J.D. Salinger
“If you do something too good, then, after a while, if you don't watch it, you start showing off. And then you're not as good any more.”

J.D. Salinger
“I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot. ”

J.D. Salinger
“Goddam money. It always ends up making you blue as hell.”

J.D. Salinger
“I was trying to feel some kind of good-bye. I mean I’ve left schools and places I didn’t even know I was leaving them. I hate that. I don’t care if it’s a sad good-bye or a bad good-bye, but when I leave a place I like to know I’m leaving it. If you don’t you feel even worse.”

J.D. Salinger
“I think that one of these days," he said, "you're going to have to find out where you want to go. And then you've got to start going there. But immediately. You can't afford to lose a minute. Not you.”

J.D. Salinger
“Ask her if she still keeps all her kings in the back row.”

J.D. Salinger
“Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.”