Ashley's Reviews > The Nanny Diaries

The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin

May 15, 12

Read from April 02 to May 08, 2012, read count: 1

3.5 stars.

This was a really sad book. It had a lot of humorous parts at first, but then it spirals down more and more into the perspective of an overworked, underappreciated person.

Being a full-time student is difficult. Being a full-time student and an almost-full-time mom is even more difficult. And that's what the main character does. The actual mother of Grayer complains and complains about how difficult her life is, when she has so much. I wanted to punch her most of the time, but even such a dislikable character has a pity-point. And I sure felt bad for this lady. The father is a never-present ass. And little Grayer lacks discipline. Several times I thought he needed a good spanking, but these poor nannies have to endure everything or they get fired.

The ending was really heartbreaking, I just wanted to shake these horrible parents to get them to see that they were screwing up their kid, they were hurting him so much and they didn't even notice. Even though he was a major brat, he still was a victim of their negligence, and I felt sad for him, particularly because I know there actually are kids like him.

Everything was done so realisticly, I didn't have any problems losing myself in the story. The only real downer about it was that it was really long at some points, and I felt like a lot of scenes didn't add much to the book, nor did a lot of the detail.

I also wanted to tell Nanny to get a spine, not whine so much about being mistreated (she was, and she became very invested in Grayer, but I still wanted to smack her upside the head for not getting another job and giving a few choice words to the parents... in person)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nanny Diaries.