Angela's Reviews > Awake: A Fairytale

Awake by Jessica Grey

May 24, 12

bookshelves: ya, sci-fi-fantasy, romance, debut
Read from May 21 to 24, 2012

Awake: A Fairytale is a modern retelling of the classic story Sleeping Beauty, a personal favorite of yours truly, by the by. I learned about this book when I entered the Once Upon A Time flash fiction contest hosted on Yearning for Wonderland. Between the beautiful cover and the subject matter, I couldn't resist it. Let's talk about it, shall we?

a description:
Alexandra Martin has just graduated high school and is interning at a local museum over the summer. Bright and caring, Alex has always felt like she didn't fit in and finds solace in the familiar surroundings of the museum. When her childhood friend, Luke, unexpectedly signs up to intern at the museum and a mysterious shipment of artifacts is delivered, Alex is forced to learn not only to believe in her own inner strength, but the possibility that magic is real.

some rambling thoughts:
Awake: A Fairytale is extremely refreshing. Ms. Grey does a fantastic job of taking an old classic and making it her own. At the heart of this fairy tale is a bond of friendship between three girls, Lilia, Becca, and Alex. The girls learn to not only rely on each other, but help build one another up. They present a fantastic example of what true and lasting friendships should be build upon, trust, caring, and fun. Luke is a-flippin-dorable, handsome, snarky, and smart. He's not your typical jock nor your traditional "hero." He's an even keeled character willing to protect those he cares about, while at the same time being brave enough to let others save the day.

The twist and turns of the plot line were what kept me reading. I enjoyed seeing how Ms. Grey weaved the classic tales of Sleeping Beauty with her own modern musings. The main focus of this story is the developing plot. Ms. Grey does not play up the angst and drama between Luke and Alex in order to make for inorganic tension, but trusts her story and her writing to do it naturally.

The best part, this is a stand alone novel that will be part of a three part series of modernized fairy tales. Can I just say-- YES PLEASE. I am a huge fan of companion books. I get the resolution I need NOW and look forward to (hopefully) revisiting old friends later without worrying about them in between meetings.

Overall, I highly enjoyed Ms. Grey's debut novel and look forward to procuring meself some more of her lovely books in the future. If you are a fan of fairy tales retold and looking for something fun and heartfelt, this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awake.

05/21/2012 page 16
05/21/2012 page 60 "Dear Life, Shhhhh. I'm reading. Fin."
show 3 hidden updates…