Jrobertus's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

196037
May 15, 12

This is a crime thriller, but really spends most of its time developing personalities. In this novel, ex detective Jackson Brodie tries to find out the identity of a woman in New Zealand who was adopted. This story meshes with that of Tracy Waterhouse, another ex cop, who wants a child, and bus one from an abusive crack ho. The stories weave around a group of cops, Tracy's old unit, one of whom accidentally killed a prostitute years ago, and stole the kid to be adopted by country club friends. Atkinson's writing is strong, and the flashback, flash forward plotting adds to the unfolding story. However, I found the book overlong for a thriller, and elements unsatisfying. If Brodie is such a touch, savy cop, why does he allow his car to be stolen, and to venture out unarmed to a sure beating by thugs? Would Harry Bosch do that? I don't think so; Atkinson is no Michael Connolly I fear. Much of this novel is really internal. Crime is only incidental to the issue of love and family and belonging. These could be elements in a novel of personality and the book could be read in that way. As a thriller per se it is only so so.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.