Boyd Addlesperger's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

May 15, 2012

Read in May, 2012

"Oh," my friend said, "you're reading a baseball book." "Not exactly," said I, trying to give the clear impression that I was sitting in the staff room to read, not share weekend adventures with folks who consider a trip to Target one of life's high points. After repeated queries and no hint that my friend was going take my hints, I explained that "The Art of Fielding" wasn't really a baseball book....except that it is.

Baseball, specifically the baseball team for Westish College in Wisconsin forms the framework upon which a complicated and fascinating group of people live their lives, hide their lies, lose their confidence, find love, live an die. And yes, there's baseball...but there's so much more. I am not a fiction reader--two or three novels a year, at most. This non-novel reading guy found "The Art of Fielding" compelling...can't put down...can't be bothered to talk with friends good.

I'm ashamed to say it, but I can't help myself. Harbach hit a homerun in his first at bat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.