Anghara's Reviews > Makeda

Makeda by Prue Sobers

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, hey-i-have-a-physical-copy-of-this
Read from May 31 to June 07, 2012

I received this as a Good Reads First Read book.

This is a book that left me with a feeling of melancholy when I finished it. I think it will stick with me for awhile. It wasn't sad or arduous to finish; I believe that the melancholia is more due to the book being done than anything in how it ended. I was glad to see that there is a sequel that will come out - I want to follow their story along some more!

I had a bit of a challenge immersing myself in the book's world at first, but that changed within the next chapter or so.

I really enjoy books that take characters from history - mythical or otherwise - and flesh them out. Makeda is about the Queen of Sheba and her interactions with the King Solomon of the Christian Bible. I was a little nervous that the book would be overly religious, but it was not at all. I did not feel preached to; religion was a part of who they were but not consuming them with the fiery passion of true believers who need to proselytize. In many ways, it reminded me of The Red Tent by Anita Diamant in that it took a female character mentioned in the Bible and told her story.

The main characters - Solomon and Makeda - were engaging. I enjoyed reading their conversations and the thoughts that they prompted in my own brain. The descriptions of the scenery made the landscapes come to life in my head.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Makeda.

06/07/2012 page 166